Malaysia International Ship Registry
Malaysia International Ship Registry (MISR) is a body for the registering of international ships. The MISR has been established to encourage individual and foreign shipping companies to register their ships in Malaysia without having to comply with the requirement of Malaysian majority shareholder. The MISR would enable the placing of Malaysia on the international maritime map.
Under the ship registry, foreigners are allowed to hold 100 per cent equity in line with the government's effort to encourage foreign investments in the country. With the registration of international ships, it would help increase the ships registry capacity and that to be able to handle the country's transportation trade.
Port of Registry
The Ports of registry for Malaysia International Ship is Labuan.
Registrar General may register a ship as a Malaysian International Ship, if it is owned by a corporation that satisfies the following requirements:
- Incorporated in Malaysia;
- An office of the corporation is established in Malaysia; and
- The majority of the shareholding, including voting shares, of the corporation are not held by Malaysian citizens.
Ship Manager Eligibility
The owner of a ship shall, before applying for a ship to be registered, appoint a ship manager whom shall be:
- A Malaysian citizen having his permanent residence in Malaysia; or
- A company incorporated in Malaysia and having its principal place of business in Malaysia.